Re: using chere

The difference is that --login -i directs bash eventually to read /etc/profile, which adds cygwin dirs to the path. So as Morgan thought, this is somehow a PATH issue. However, I added c:\cygwin\bin, c:\cygwin\user\X11R6\bin to my Windows path, and the chere still does not pop up an xterm. (Note that adding these dirs to the Windows path is not an option for me anyway, as it causes me a lot of DLL-hell type problems).

OK, one last thing, sorry. I did something wrong with the last test. If I add c:\cygwin\bin and c:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin to the Windows PATH variable, then chere does work to open up an xterm!

So I guess the only question is: is there any way to avoid this requirement? It would be helpful for me if I didn't have to add these to the path. I'm not sure how chere is implemented, but could it just set these variables before calling the xterm? Thanks again.

-Lewis