All Cygwin versions:How do I modify the Cygwin information stored in the registry?

Hello, I have tried to set a variable in the windows registry for the
mounting of cygwin directories.
This is to have the possibility to switch between different cygwin
installations without changing the registry.
But is way don't work!!

It seems that it is the Type REG_EXPAND_SZ that causes the error.
Is it possible that the Type REG_EXPAND_SZ is not right support by
cygwin?

I will switch between a local installation and a installion on a net
drive and to change a environment variable is a easy way to do this job.

thanks for help
helge