Is cygwin much slower on Core 2 Duo

I see some posts about cygwin being a bit slow on core duo processors. But for me things really are ridiculous.

I recently switched from an HP Compaq laptop (nc6000) with Pentium M 1.6 GHz (Dothan) to another HP Compaq laptop (nx9420) with Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz (Merom) and I have noticed a significant slow down compared to when I used to run things on cygwin before.

Today I compiled PHP 5.2 with Apache 1.3.34. When installing I was at times wondering if it actually was working at all or not. It took 43 minutes (!) from 'make install' to finish. By comparison when trying the same on the old laptop it took 8.5 minutes.

Has anybody else experienced this serious slowdown with cygwin on Core 2 Duo machines? My other "normal" windows apps work much faster compared to what they did on my old machine, so everything seems normal on that end. It's just on cygwin that now everything runs in slow motion.

Does anybody know of any diagnostics tools for the dual core?

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

/nenad