Re: File Permissions on Vista [could be "how to deal with UAC"?]

Hi,

DePriest, Jason R. wrote:
On 5/29/07, morgan gangwere  wrote:
- cut out Arnaud's information and Morgan's PGP header / footer -

Cant we make setup.exe check if its Vista? i mean, its an environment variable!

UAC does some odd things to user access and permissions.

http://blogs.msdn.com/onoj/archive/2007/04/20/windows-vista-uac-and-installer-detection.aspx

Vista is supposed to automatically prompt the end-user to enter some creds with Admin rights (or whatever the appropriate rights are) if the executable is called 'setup.exe'

Is this not happening?

This is not the problem. The problem is that with UAC activated any file and folder created
with windows applications will have no access right (like a chmod 000).
I suppose that Morgan was referring to the possibility of a message prompted by the installer that with UAC
enabled, unexpected results may happen.

Perhaps Morgan can also point out other issues with UAC enabled.

Arnaud.

--
Arnaud Legout, Ph.D.

INRIA Sophia Antipolis - Planète  Phone : 00.33.4.92.38.78.15
2004 route des lucioles - BP 93   Fax   : 00.33.4.92.38.79.78
06902 Sophia Antipolis CEDEX      E-mail: arnaud.legout@sophia.inria.fr
FRANCE                            Web   : http://www-sop.inria.fr/planete/Arnaud.Legout/index.html