SOLVED: Can not turn off terminal beep for completion [Ruby programmers, read this!]

> Theoretically, but there still could be a few things going
> wrong, one of
> which being that you and your Cygwin environment have
> different ideas of
> what $HOME is.

At least, the environment variable HOME is set correctly, and also
my ~/.bash_profile is read, so this suggests that bash *does* look
for my HOME at the expected place.

> Try running "bind 'set bell-style none'" from the bash
> command line...

Indeed, you are right: my .inputrc is not read - but the reason
for it is really bizarre:

I had installed cygwin together with the Ruby programming language.
After
this, I decided to also install the "pure Windows version" of Ruby. This
installation, however, had the funny side effect to set on Windows the
system-wide environment variable INPUTRC to a file
'c:\ruby185\bin\inputrc.euro'!!!
My guess is that they use this file for the interactive Ruby shell
(irb), but
in any case, it means that when bash is started, it sees INPUTRC
pointing to
a different file and ignores my $HOME/.inputrc!

Ronald
--
Ronald Fischer <ronald.fischer@venyon.com>
Phone: +49-89-452133-162