Re: MD5s of setup.exe on mirrors.

"DaveKorn" writes:

> On 14 May 2007 21:27, Markus E.L. wrote:
>
>> often. Did you mean setup.ini instead? But setup.ini is coming from
>> the mirror, isn't it?
>
>   Well, it comes from the mirror, same as the packages do, but it isn't
> generated there, if that's what you mean.

No, that wasn't what I meant. I thought, just for a moment, wether
setup.exe wouldn't take the setup.ini from the master site every time
to ensure that it is current. Of course then the mirror site wouldn't
necessarily be up date, so that was not really good idea. Just
triggered by Larry's idea about the propagation delay, which, then, I
really don't get.

>> (And this is a serious question: If it comes from the mirror, what
>> happens if a mirror has setup.ini updated, but not all of the packages
>> yet?)
>
>   Setup.ini is autogenerated on cygwin.com every five or ten minutes or so.
> It will only change /after/ the package changes on cygwin.com, so the mirror
> will either get the changed package but not the new .ini, or it will get both,
> but it shouldn't be possible to get the new .ini without the changed package
> unless it is travelling backwards in time.

I should possibly read up some more about running a mirror. What I
thought though, was more along the lines of that the mirror starts
downloading the master site from the top and might fetch setup.ini and
then take considerable time until atually getting the changed package
deeper down the tree. This is probably not how mirrors are actually
run (by doing a plain rsync or recursive wget).

>   Which would be a very odd way to run a mirror!

:-) But very interesting. I sometimes would want a mirror that travels
back in time.

Regards -- Markus