Re: Trademark rights and copyright for "Cygwin" and logo.

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 04:56:21PM -0500, DePriest, Jason R. wrote:
>> For the Cygwin folks, it is really a good idea to have the preferred
>> usage of the logo documented in an easily accessible location.  This
>> long, drawn out, emotional thread has shown that nobody really knows
>> how someone can legally use the logo.
>
> There is only one person here who works at Red Hat, they are not a
> lawyer and, the last I knew, had no way to gain definitive statements
> from Red Hat counsel.
>
> So, again, I think I'm consistent in noting that if anyone is planning
> to use the Cygwin logo or the Cygwin name or has questions about
> licensing then it is in their best interests to make sure that Red Hat
> officially agrees with the usage.  If they can get a general assurance
> from Red Hat then we'll be more than happy to put it on the web site.  I
> suspect that nobody would be willing to provide official carte blanche
> usage suitable for this type of purpose but IANetc.
>
> Hmm.  Maybe something like that is what should go in the FAQ.

Maybe it should but then again, since this is the first time I recall in
at least 12 years that this issue has come up on the list, I'm not sure it
qualifies as an FAQ.  Maybe it could go under the contributor's guide or
the cygwin-license list description.  Or maybe it needs it's own, more
visible category.

Holliston, MA 01746