Re: Cygwin update hanging on mingw-runtime

Michael Ash wrote:

> We are attempting to use setup.exe to update our previously working
> Cygwin installation.  The download completes but the installation
> hangs at 25% on the following:
>
> Installing
> mingw-runtime-3.12-4
> /usr/include/mingw/assert.h
>
> After half an hour hanging at this point, the following appear in a Windows box:
>
> "Dr. Watson Postmortem Debugger has encountered a problem and needs to
> close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.  If you were in the middle
> of something, the information you were working on might be lost."
>
> The error report gave the following information, in case it's of any use to you:
>
> EventType: BEX
> P1: drwtsn32.exe
> P2: 5.1.2600.0
> P3: 3b7d84a2
> P4: dbghelp.dll
> P5: 5.1.2600.2180
> P6: 4110969a
> P7: 0001295d
> P8: c0000409
> P9: 00000000

Sorry, but the above is meaningless.  You'll need to debug the actual
problem a little farther.  You can also try a setup.exe snapshot to see
if it works any better.  Alternatively, you can easily install this
package by hand:

tar jxvf path/to/mingw-runtime-3.12-4.tar.bz2 -C /
sed -ie 's/\(mingw-runtime\)-.*\(\.tar\.bz2\)/\1-3.12-4\2/' \
        /etc/setup/installed.db

> At this point, the screen is frozen, and the Task Manager indicates
> that the Cygwin installation is not responding.

My guess is that this is triggering some kind of virus scanner's false
positive.

> I have a couple of suspicions:
> (1) I also installed MINGW directly on the computer.  Maybe the
> Cygwin/MINGW and the main MINGW are interacting badly.

This seems extremely unlikely because this package contains only headers
and static import libraries, both of which are only used when compiling
and linking MinGW objects, not at runtime.  (Okay, it also contains the
stub DLL mingwm10.dll which is the TLS-destructor stub helper, but if
this were in use at the time setup ran, it would not be able to touch
it, only schedule it for replacement at reboot.  If you're using the
latest version of setup you'll get a dialog in this situation.  Not to
mention that any separate installation of MinGW would have its own copy
of mingwm10.dll.)

> (2) Maybe there Cygwin services running that are interfering with the
> update.  We used cygrunsrv to stop sshd which was the only service
> that we thought we were running.

I can't see how this would happen.  Nor do I see how sshd could possibly
be relevant at all since it's not even a MinGW app.

> (3) We have occasionally used the command-line program cyg-apt to
> update and install.  Maybe this has fouled the database.

That is possible but I don't see why it would cause setup to foul up at
this point in the process.

> Our failed update seems to have messed up other parts of cygwin.  We
> can no longer start sshd with 'cygrunsrv --start sshd'  and we can't
> seem to locate ssh-host-config

Uh, suddenly you're describing a much different problem than just being
able to unpack the the mingw-runtime package.  It sounds like you have
bigger issues that need solving.

> We have attempted to select "skip" for mingw in setup.exe, but this
> doesn't affect the hang described above.

If you selected 'skip' then setup should not be unpacking anything from
the package, so I don't see how it could fail trying to unpack from the
package, unless you're saying it fails trying to unpack some other
package.  If that's the case then the fact that it happens to foul up
unpacking the mingw-runtime package is a complete red herring, and you
have some kind of bigger problem that's interfering with setup that
you'll need to diagnose.

Brian