installing libncurses.a etc

I have just installed cygwin on a new laptop, so it is a very recent
version. I want to try to compile an application that needs ncurses.
However, configure can not find ncurses, and indeed libcurses.a and its
friends are not in /usr/lib. I tried reinstalling. An old message
suggested installing ncurses first and then libncurses and terminfo. The
result is the same. There is nothing from ncurses in /usr/lib, but
/usr/bin has:-

$ ls *ncurse*
cygncurses++-8.dll*  cygncurses++6.dll*  cygncurses5.dll* cygncurses7.dll*
cygncurses++5.dll*   cygncurses-8.dll*   cygncurses6.dll* ncurses8-config*

This was exactly the situation after the first install.

I can find nothing in the archives and indeed most messages about
ncurses are quite old and I expect things have changed.

I am probably missing something obvious, but I can not see it. I have
used cygwin for ages but have never needed ncurses before. Can anyone
offer a clue.

Regards, Brian.
--
       Brian Salter-Duke (Brian Duke)    b_duke@bigbond.net.au
       Post: 626 Melbourne Rd, Spotswood, VIC, 3015, Australia