Re: opening windows shell in emacs - problem

* mineshvarmas (Sun, 6 May 2007 12:38:19 -0700 (PDT))
> I installed cywin on my windows xp machine and when i tried to open the
> windows shell in emacs, i found that cygwin had taken over the cmd shell

No.

> unix commands like ls, started working in the windows shell. is this
> what it should it do?

No, Cygwin does not modify the Windows path. So either /you/ did it
yourself or you where in the C:\cygwin\bin directory folder.

> i thought that the commands should be working in the bash shell.

They do.

> when i did a pwd in the windows shell, the output was /cygdrive/c/emacs/bin
> why should the /cygdrive/ prefix appear, in a windows native shell?

Because you use a Cygwin command.

> the tab completion wich was working before i installed cygwin, doesn't
> work now.

That is *very* unlikely...

> for examples i have a word.exe file in a folder and when i tried to run
> this i usually type the first few chars and then press tab for
> autocompletion, but it only gives me the options that are there in the
> C:\cygwin\bin

Because you are there. Windows cmd never completes commands from the
path.

> how can i get back the original windows command prompt without
> uninstalling cygwin.

I wanted to point you to http://cygwin.com/problems.html but in this
case the /real/ problems sits between chair and computer.

Before you try to use and master a real shell like bash you should at
least have a full understanding of the Windows shell Cmd.

Thorsten