Re: [Ping Python maintainer]: enhancement request

* Jason Tishler (Tue, 01 May 2007 14:32:06 -0400)
> On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 10:21:25AM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> > OTOH, I still don't see any reason not to tell people "you have to run
> > bash first if you want to use python".
>
> This is the solution that I prefer.

I think the best solution would be to make the Cygwin symlinks somehow
"Windows compatible" - so Windows would be able to run those as if
they were shortcuts.

What about this "winsymlinks" Cygwin environment variable? The
description says "if set, Cygwin creates symlinks as Windows shortcuts
with a special header and the R/O attribute set. If not set, Cygwin
creates symlinks as plain files with a magic number, a path and the
system attribute set. Defaults to set".

So why don't the symlinks "work" under Windows (despite being "created
as Windows shortcuts with a special header")??

Thorsten