Perl: Carriage Return???

Hello

I am reading OŽReilllyŽs "Learning Perl" Book and doing the exercises. My version of a test script for regular expression was :

?
while( <INPUT> ){
  chomp;
    if( /$pattern/ ){
      print "\nHit: |$`>$&<$'|";
    }
    else{
      if( !$option ){
        print "\n\nNo Hit >$pattern< in >$_< !";
      }
    }
}
?

The output for this code is :
< !Hit >fred< in >Frederic

< !Hit >fred< in >Mr.Smith
|it: |Nar>fred<

I cannot imagine what is going wrong with that. Why some parts are just overwritten.
The same code using Active Perl works. Some weeks ago this script has worked using Cygwin, too.
Then, I wanted to check a regular expression with this script I had to see this weird output.

Could please someone help me. I really love working with Cygwin when using Windows.

Thanks in advance.

  Alex