Throwing c++ exception across threads

Hello! I'm developing a simple IRC bot using the cygwin tools. It actually comes with a GUI and I'm writing it using Win32. I don't compile it with -mno-cygwin, because it's using cygwin sockets and pthreads.

When the user of the program connects to an irc server a thread is spawned that handles communication with the irc server. Any messages are displayed in an editbox. If a severe error occurs, an exception is thrown. Will there be any problems if I catch these exceptions in the main thread? The things is that the connection code may cause an exception and I want to run that in the connection thread so the UI doesn't freeze while it's waiting for an connection attempt to time-out for instance.

- Eric