Setup.exe Problems on Vista

I recently installed Cygwin on Vista and found a few problems but also
a workaround that I haven't seen documented on the mailing list
archives so here it goes.

Setup.exe appears to finish successfully when it is run.  However, the
/etc/postinstall scripts do not actually run correctly.  This is
evidenced by the absence of any /etc/bin/sh.exe which is supposed to
be installed by /etc/postinstall/00ash.sh.done.  Other indicators that
the install didn't run correctly are: the prompt is left at the bash
default instead of the nicely colored one that Cygwin normally sets it
to, and the home directly of the user is wrong (something like / or
/bin I don't remember which).

The workaround for this problem that I have found is to set the
*Windows* path to include C:\cygwin\bin before running setup.exe.  So
for example this sequence works:

set PATH=C:\cygwin\bin;%PATH%
setup.exe

Then /bin/sh is actually created, the prompt is the usual Cygwin settings, etc.
Of course the proper solution would be to find and fix the root cause.
Is this a known bug?  Is there any other info I can provide to help
find the root cause? (I'm suspicious that Vista might not allow the
program to set PATH.)

OS: Vista Home Premium
Setup.exe Version: 2.510.2.2 (run without administraitor permission)

Michael D. Adams
mdmkolbe@gmail.com