1.5.24 esdplay delays every other file

Hi, good work on Cygwin but I'm wondering why when I type:

for N in *.wav; do esdplay $N; read; done

in a directory full of short WAV files, and I wait for each
WAV to finish before pressing Enter to start the next one,
every OTHER wav file is delayed by about a second before it
starts.

The delay happens no matter how long I wait between wav files.
It also happens if I play the same wav file repeatedly as in
for N in 1 2 3 4 5; do esdplay somefile.wav; read; done
it's always every other call to esdplay that delays.

This does not happen when I use Cygwin's ogg123 to play ogg
files (ogg123 has a small start-up delay anyway but it
doesn't delay more on every other call) so I guess it's an
esd problem rather than a problem with sound in general.
The problem also fails to manifest itself when calling
Windows' soundrec32.exe /play /close somefile.wav

I couldn't find anything on google or in the list archives
about esdplay delay problems.  I tried changing esdctl standbymode
but that seemed to have no effect.

Thanks.

Silas

--