Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: cron 4.1-1

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Schaap"
To: <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 10:21 AM
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: cron 4.1-1

| On 11-Apr-2007 16:15, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:

| > |
| > | Isn't this a bit aggressive? Cron isn't the only one who might be using
| > | sendmail, you know...
| > | Might it not be better if crond would be made smart enough to run
| > | /usr/bin/cronlog in case /usr/sbin/sendmail doesn't exist?
| > |
| > | Aside from that, the cron postinstall just removed my existing sendmail
| > | symlink (to ssmtp), leaving me without one.
| > | Your code does:
| > |
| > | # Link sendmail to a poor man's mailer if sendmail
| > | # does not exist (e.g. dangling symlink)
| > | # Handle the .exe mess
| > | [ -e /usr/sbin/sendmail -o -e /usr/sbin/sendmail.exe ] ||
| > | ln -sf /usr/bin/cronlog /usr/sbin/sendmail
| > | [ -e /usr/sbin/sendmail ] && rm -f /usr/sbin/sendmail.exe
| > |
| > | which is broken in the case of an existing symlink
| > | /usr/sbin/sendmail.exe -> /usr/sbin/ssmtp.exe (as created by current
| > | versions of ssmtp-config and ln).
| > |
| > | – Michael
| >
| > Sorry, I thought I had tested that and I don't see why it happened.
| > Exactly what did you observe?
| > If you had either /usr/sbin/sendmail  or /usr/sbin/sendmail.exe pointing
| > to an existing file, then "ln -sf /usr/bin/cronlog " should not have run.
| > If you had both /usr/sbin/sendmail  already pointing to a file and /usr/sbin/senmail.exe
| > existed (not necessarily pointing to anything) , which guarantees confusion,
| > then the second one was removed. That's a little aggressive, I should make
| > it conditional on cronlog being newly linked.
| >
| "[ -e /usr/sbin/sendmail ]" is true when a symlink
| "/usr/sbin/sendmail.exe" exists.

Precisely if "[ -e /usr/sbin/sendmail ]"  is true then
 || ln -sf /usr/bin/cronlog /usr/sbin/sendmail
shouldn't run.
I just tested that again on my system..

| If you have to do this by symlinking sendmail (which I still don't like,
| but that's just me), can't you move the creation to cron-config, so you
| can ask the user for permission before you do it?

Yes, but there are always those that do it by hand and then complain.
I absolutely want to avoid disturbing existing installations, so understanding
exactly what happened would help.

 Pierre