Re: redefining $HOME

Gustavo Seabra <gustavo.seabra <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering if it is possible to use the windows folder "My
> Documents" or even "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME" (or some dir
> inside those) as the hoe directory in Cygwin. I though about
> substituting the user directory inside /home by a symlink to one of the
> above. Is there any reason that wouldn't work? Is there a better way to
> do it?
>
> The reason I am thinking about it is just practical: I want to have all
> my files (Windows or Cygwin) under one root.
>
> Thanks a lot
>
> Gustavo.

Yes, you can do this.  I've done this for years by
putting "/cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/ericjb/My Documents"
into /etc/passwd.  This works well, though every once in awhile you might find
a shell script which doesn't correctly handle spaces in paths.  (Such a script
is broken, and should be fixed.)  I can't even remember the last time I ran
into that though, most scripts don't use $HOME.

--
Eric