Re: perl problem with cygwin path

Matthew Woehlke wrote:
Mike R Brown wrote:

[snip]
Nope. With a current updatedb locate found one perl.exe under /usr/bin. When I renamed this perl.exe to perly.exe and copied the version that worked from my machine and did a version check while in /usr/bin I get

./perly - v   returned 5.8.8 (original questionable perl)
./perl -v     returned 5.8.7 (perl from working box)

Everything I have checked points to just one Perl installation. So maybe the question here is where did this version come from?

That is indeed a good question, since the latest available 'perl' from kernel.org is 5.8.7-5. The full output of 'perly -v' (that's the questionable perl) may tell you something.

They look very simular other than revision.

----------------------
This is perl, v5.8.7 built for cygwin-thread-multi-64int

Copyright 1987-2005, Larry Wall

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or the
GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.

this system using `man perl' or `perldoc perl'.  If you have access to the
Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.org/, the Perl Home Page.
---------------------
- and -
This is perl, v5.8.8 built for cygwin-thread-multi-64int

Copyright 1987-2006, Larry Wall

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or the
GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.

this system using `man perl' or `perldoc perl'.  If you have access to the
Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.org/, the Perl Home Page.

Looking closer I see there is a perl -V test that shows much more information. I didn't check that out. Unfortunately the other machine won't be back on line until next week. Will to the -V test and see what it looks like. Still curious as to how it got uploaded to at least one mirror.

Mike