Sony Dual [CD/DVD] RW Drive Problems

I have one of those IEEE 1394 (Firewire) CD/DVD-RW+RW drives.

When I recursively copy one directory ('x.ab') from my HDD to a DVD-RW
in Explorer, everything looks good until I do an 'ls -l' on the drive.
Then I see in the 'ls -l' output listing many copies of the directory as
some kind of a binary (?) file. E.g.,

br-------T 9281 Everyone root 22, 34090 Jan 14  1979 x.ab
br-------T 9281 Everyone root 22, 34090 Jan 14  1979 x.ab
br-------T 9281 Everyone root 22, 34090 Jan 14  1979 x.ab
.
.
.

Note that while I can 'cd' into the child directories of 'x.ab', I get
the same problem in each of them, namely repeated listing of all subdirs
as binary files.

The files in the directory are fine on the Sony drive as long as I
access them via Explorer or simple bash single file commands.

Also, I get error messages when I try to use either chmod or 'chown' on
the dir or subdirs.

The drive uses Ahead Nero InCD which formats on the fly. Moreover, I
can't use 'format' from either a cmd.exe (or bash) prompt, or an
explorer Properties / Tools menu.

This makes the drive useless for the backup and archive scripts I've
developed with Cygwin.

Anybody (a) know what's going on here, (b) how I can resolve this at
zero cost, or (c) how I can resolve this at any cost (not including
buying a new DVD-RW drive, or running GNU-Linux or -BSD! ;-))?

Thanks,

Lee Rothstein