Re: 1.5.24 unable to access files via root / (forward slash)

On 2/20/07, Jeff2007 wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to access files for reading via the / directive, i.e. vi
/usr/foo.txt
However, this will not open foo.txt, vi creates a new file in the current
directory instead.
I can cd to the /usr directory and open the file with vi usr.txt. I'm using
vi as an example, I'm actually trying to compile files with a gcc variant,
and it can't access files the the / path either.

I've checked with the mount command that / is mounted, and it reports:
D:\cygwin_root on / type system (binmode)
Output from ls -lg /usr shows
-rwxrwxrwx 1 mkgroup-l-d 13 Feb 20 13:33 foo.txt
Which seems ok from what I've read?

I've attached the output from cygcheck using cygcheck -srvv. Apologies if
I'm missing something really simple here.

http://www.nabble.com/file/6655/cygcheck.out cygcheck.out

Thanks in advance,

Jeff. --

Jeff,

mkgroup-l-d means that Cygwin doesn't know what group you are in.  I
believe when you run bash for the first time, you should see something
like this:
Your group name is currently "mkgroup_l_d". This indicates that not
all domain users and groups are listed in the /etc/passwd and
/etc/group files.
See the man pages for mkpasswd and mkgroup then, for example, run
mkpasswd -l -d > /etc/passwd
mkgroup  -l -d > /etc/group
This message is only displayed once (unless you recreate /etc/group)
and can be safely ignored.

Following that advice won't fix your path problems, but it is probably
something you should remedy as it could lead to problems or confusion
in the future.

-Jason