Re: FW: Re: [emacs_user@hotmail.com: ***MEMORY-ERROR***: emacs[5172]: GSlice: failed

Christopher Faylor wrote:

If someone is positing that one of several functions possibly isn't
working in cygwin why not report exactly which function that would be?
I.e., a little more work than reposting speculation would be
appreciated.

I did that comment, it is not speculation. I currently have no W32 machine, hence no cygwin at all. I don't know how the original poster configured Gtk+, I don't know which version of cygwin he/she has, I don't know which version of Gtk+ he/she has. I only tried to find out if Emacs could fix this somehow, which it can't. If the original poster (emacs_user@hotmail.com) can send in his/hers config.h from the Gtk+ configuration, we can figure out what function we are talking about.

Jan D.

cgf

GSlice is a memory handling function in Gtk+ (Glib).  It tries to
allocate an aligned block of memory using posix_memalign, memalign or
valloc.  I don't know which of these three is used on cygwin, but
apparently cygwin does not have a correct implementation.  I'd say it
is either a cygwin problem, or a glib problem.  The allocation is done
when Emacs tries to create a widget and is done within the Gtk+ liby.
There is nothing Emacs can do to fix this.  It must be done in cygwin
(by implemeting whatever function is used correctly) or by glib (by
recovering better from errors like this).