Re: Slow compile issue with cygwin make since v1.5.17

On 2/15/07, Dan Shumuk wrote:
Hi there,

We have been having a problem with using v1.5.24 of cygwin since
cygwin.dll v1.5.17.  Installing the lastest version of cygwin causes
our autogenerated slickedit make files to compile very slowly in
cygwin. Upon further investigation we found the CPU time is limited to
approximately 10% when this problem is present as opposed to the
normal 100%.  If we install v1.5.24 on a VMWare XP SP1 setup
everything works normally.

I've tried settting the path to exactly the same as the system that is
running properly with no luck. I've also tried running the system free
of our network to remove the network mounts, the same problem still
exists.  The only differences between the two systems that I can think
of is that novell, or norton antivirus, and SP2 is installed the
machine with the problem.  The problem is present on any system where
we reinstall or upgrade cygwin. Any ideas?

Attached is the output of cygcheck -s -r on a machine that has the problem.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

My money is on Norton AV as the problem.

I found some old notes in the archive:
http://sourceware.org/ml/crossgcc/2002-08/msg00050.html

It's a WAG for sure, but considering how most new AV software hooks
into every single running application and checks it for suspicious
actions, it's a good one.

If you can't tell Norton to ignore everything under your cygwon root,
you can try uninstalling it.