>>> Actually, I was suggesting that your firewall, virus checker, and/or
>>> spyware software may be interfering.  While your symptoms are not
>>> typical
>>> of these kinds of buggy software, it is a known fact that they can
>>> interfere
>>> with Cygwin in undesirable ways.  To be sure they are not interfering,
>>> you must uninstall them.  Turning the "off" is not enough.
>>>

>> Can't do that. The virus software is locked down. Anyway I've been using
>> the same av and antispyware software for years. Never had a problem
>> until last week. I really dont think that's the issue. About the only
>> thing I can remove is Windows Defender which I probably don't need
>> anyway. I already spybot.
>

> I understand.  But you mention Windows Defender.  It's been known to cause
> at least some trouble:
>
> <http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2007-01/msg00742.html>
>
> I'm not saying this is your problem or that this class of issue is your
> problem.  But it is possible that it is an issue.  If you haven't already,
> I'd recommend removing all you can and see if that helps any.

Just tried that. Removed Windows Defender, Spybot, AdAware, and
rebooted. The problem still persists. No output from ls most of the time.

Next step is to blow away my entire cygwin installation and install each
package anew. Not sure what else I can do. This will be the 2nd time in
6 months I've had to do this.