Re: Unable to run even simple batch scripts any more

Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad <at> users.sourceforge.net> writes:

> Dennis Simpson wrote:
> > Three of us updated to latest windows cygwin last week, and none can run
> > even simple .sh scripts any more.  Prior version was 6 months ago.
>
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2006-12/msg00026.html
>
> Next time RTFRA. Oh, and STFLA; this particular horse died a *loooong*
> time ago.

Obviously, the horse is still alive and attempting to limp along.  I predict
it'll stay alive for quite some time longer.

* Bash's current treatment of crlf causes unexpected breakage of things that
worked for years, and which most naive users expect to continue to work.
* Workaround using text mounts fails because lots of cygwin commands don't
work right under text mounts (gzip for example, but there's lots more).
* Workaround by exporting SHELLOPTS breaks things because it put interactive
things like history expansion into non-interactive shells (try calling "man
bash" after exporting SHELLOPTS with igncr, for example).
* Workaround inserting "set -o igncr" is impractical when there are lots of
scripts.
* Workaround calling d2u is impractical when there are lots of scripts, and
breaks if the scripts must work with non-cygwin shells.

I know, cygwin developers are not interested in fixing this, which is
certainly their right.  But you can be sure that reports of this problem will
continue to arrive.