Re: Help. Cygwin corrupting files

On 2/12/07, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> I have no idea what this Daemon tools thing is. Hooks into the file
> system. Gee that's beginning to sound like a root-kit!

Last I checked, it is a program to allow you to mount CD images as "real
drives". Since it is supposed to make them look "real" enough to even
fool certain copy protection schemes (and since Windows doesn't have
built-in iso9660-over-loopback mount support like Linux does), I'm not
surprised that it "hooks into the file system". Actually, if anything I
would be surprised if it could do its thing *without* doing so.

A "benevolent" rootkit, perhaps?

--
Matthew
Congratulations! You've won a free trip to the future! All you have to

DaemonTools installs a driver that creates a fake SCSI subsystem where your ISOs are mounted.

It 'hooks in' just like any other driver.  I have no idea what magic
it does to do its job though.

I have it installed on a few systems that also run cygwin and I have
not had the problems being described here.

I am not used the latest / greatest DaemonTools however since I am
under the impression that it has become adware if you don't buy it.

-Jason