Re: Help. Cygwin corrupting files

Chuck wrote:
Andrew DeFaria wrote:

which makes me think that maybe its the writing to stdout that's failing.
At this point I'd suggest SpinRite: http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm
Haven't tried spinrite yet but I did do a "thorough" check of the drive using Tuneup Utilities. That's the one that requires exclusive access to the disk, reboots, and runs as the o/s starts to come up. It identifies and fixes bad sectors. It found nothing wrong with the HD.
I cannot speak for "Tuneup Utilities" however I've heard that SpinRite is better than most out there.
As stated before, I really do *not* believe this is a HD getting ready to fail. If it were I would expect problems in Windows and Cygwin, not just Cygwin.
And I find it as hard to believe that for some odd reason Cygwin would behave this way just for you.
I could be wrong but my suspicion is that Daemon tools' uninstaller left something behind. Something that hooks into the filesystem api. I remember when installing it that it had to reboot *before* installing itself and I think it was adding some sort of virtual device driver or a hook into the Windows filesystem API. After rebooting, it installed itself. I am highly suspicious that whatever it installed during that first reboot is still hanging around and causing problems for cygwin.
I have no idea what this Daemon tools thing is. Hooks into the file system. Gee that's beginning to sound like a root-kit!
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
My friend has a baby. I'm writing down all the noises he makes so later I can ask him what he meant.