Re: stupid spaces in environment vars

--- "Larry Hall (Cygwin)" wrote:

> David Bear wrote:
> > I would like to have used something like
> >
> > cd $USERPROFILE
> >
> > in a bash script but since windows insists on
> putting spaces in names, this
> > seems impossible.
> >
> > I did find a usecase where the spaces in
> c:\Documents and Settings\username
> > were tripple quoted. However, this did not work
> for me. Bash still wanted
> > to split on the space.
> >
> > Is there any cool utility that could be used like
> > cleanpath=pathcleaner($USERPROFILE)
> > cd $cleanpath
> >
> > I know this is a consistent issue with cygwin.
> There really needs to be a
> > good solution.
>
> $ cat cup
> #!/bin/bash
> cd "$USERPROFILE"
> pwd
>
> $ ./cup
> /Documents and Settings/me
>
> What's the problem again?

It's passing quoted items around I think is confusing
or when the expansion happens.  But, I'm fairly new to
shell scripts and still learning.

Here are a couple of more examples.

E.g
BAD:
alias cdp=cd\ "$USERPROFILE"
+alias 'cdp=cd C:\Documents and Settings\me'

alias cdp="cd $USERPROFILE"
+alias 'cdp=cd C:\Documents and Settings\me'

GOOD:
alias cdp="cd \"$USERPROFILE\""
+ alias 'cdp=cd "C:\Documents and Settings\me"'

alias cdp='cd "$USERPROFILE"'
+ alias 'cdp=cd "$USERPROFILE"'

:-)
Frodak