Re: less doesn't recognize capabilities of remote terminal

On 2007-02-06, Lev Bishop wrote:
> On 2/5/07, Gary Johnson wrote:
> > On 2007-02-05, Gary Johnson wrote:
> > > I recently got Cygwin's sshd running on my Windows XP machine.  It
> > > seems to basically work fine, allowing me to login from any of
> > > several machines running various flavors of Unix.  Cygwin's less
> > > command, however, doesn't seem to recognize the capabilities of my
> > > remote terminal.
> > >
> > > For example, I often use ssh to login to my Windows machine from
> > > another machine running SunOS 5.8, using an xterm version "XFree86
> > > 4.1.0(165)".  When I use less to read a file, I get a warning
> > > message:
> > >
> > >     $ less /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/terminfo-5.5_20061104.README
> > >     WARNING: terminal is not fully functional
> > >     /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/terminfo-5.5_20061104.README  (press RETURN)
> >
> > Update:  If I simply set TERM=xterm (instead of xterm-16color), less
> > works fine:
> >
> >     TERM=xterm less /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/terminfo-5.5_20061104.README
> >
> > The difference between the two terminfo entries is:
> <snip>

> The cygwin-distributed less doesn't use terminfo. It was built with
> -ltermcap. The cygwin-distributed /etc/termcap doesn't have an entry
> for xterm-16color. Thus, less complains. Possible solutions inlclude
> adding an xterm-16color line to /etc/termcap (could just be an
> additional alias to xterm), or installing libncurses-devel,
> downloading the less source package and building it yourself (the
> build process will automatically use ncurses if it's available).

Thank you very much.  With that, it turned out to be an easy fix.  I
read the termcap(3) and infocmp(1) man pages, then executed this in
my HOME directory:

    TERM=xterm-16color infocmp -Cr > .termcap

Regards,
Gary

--
Gary Johnson                 | Agilent Technologies
garyjohn@spk.agilent.com     | Wireless Division