Re: File mode 0700 for windows-created files?

Dave Korn wrote:
> On 02 February 2007 19:37, Jim Garrison wrote:
>
>> Every file created by a non-Cygwin app appears in Cygwin
>> with mode 0700.  I've read the documents pertaining to
>> ntfs permissions in Cygwin but don't see a way to configure
>> things so that Cygwin sees them as a more reasonable 0755
>> or 0644 (for non-executables).
>>
>> I have a valid /etc/passwd and /etc/group (generated by
>> mkpasswd and mkgroup).
>>
>> Is it possible to configure Cygwin so it sees
>> non-Cygwin-created files as 0644 or 0755?
>>

>   Cygwin represents the perms as whatever the posix equivalent is of the perms
> that the win32 app that created the file set, so is it possible the files are
> genuinely being created with perms only for your user?  Bear in mind that
> permissions can be inherited on a newly created file from the parent directory
> containing the new file...
>
>   As a test, I created an empty text file through the explorer context menu
> (New->Text Document).  In /tmp, it showed up with 777 perms automatically.
> However, in a directory with 755 perms, it showed up with 755 perms.
>
>   Are you testing this with different win32 apps and creating files in
> different directories and seeing the same result everywhere?  If you create a
> file in /tmp using windows explorer like I did, how does it show up in the
> output of 1) "ls -la", 2) "getfacl", 3) "cacls" ?

Interesting.  I get the desired results if I change the NTFS permissions
for the folder to "Everyone (Read & Execute)".  After that one change,
all existing files in the folder now show up 0755 instead of 0700.

Doing a Cygwin "chmod 0755" on the folder had no effect on inherited
permissions, but DID change the permissions shown by "ls -ld ."

Does Cygwin store its own "override" permissions if you use the chmod
command?