Re: Can't start cron daemon in Cygwin 1.5.23 under WinXP SP2

>Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 12:39:47 -0800
>From: Brian Dessent <brian at dessent dot net>
>
>> cron: PID 4388: starting service `cron' failed: fork: 11, Resource temporarily unavailable.
>
>The problem is that the fork call is failing when cygrunsrv tries to
>launch cron.  There are a number of reasons that fork might fail, but
>normally when this occurs you see it happen in your normal user account,
>not just when SYSTEM tries to do it, which I take it is not happening
>here.

If you can suggest a test for this, I'd be happy to run it for you.
I've reached my limit as far as specific ideas, though I will happily
follow instructions.

>Dave already mentioned a number of known software programs that cause
>fork failures, and I take it they have been ruled out.

Yes; the general summary was:

* my /etc/groups file was created by mkgroup in the usual way and I
  see no obvious error there (subject to correction by other
  eyeballs), and

* I do indeed have Symantec AntiVirus installed.  Can't change it,
  since it's locked down by IT.  However, the log files show it hasn't
  triggered on anything in weeks, which is how old this computer is.

>The next thing I'd try would be running rebaseall, which involves
>installing the rebase package, stopping all Cygwin binaries, then
>running the rebaseall script from an ash shell.  (There are directions
>in the README.)

By "README", do you mean /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/rebase-2.4.3.README?
That tells me to:

(1) Shut down all Cygwin apps/services (of course I have no services,
    since launching a service is the problem, but I checked anyway)

(2) Start an ash shell: I started a DOS shell and then typed "ash" in
    there.

(3) Run /bin/rebaseall.

Ok, did that.  (Well, forgot a bash shell running under Emacs the
first time, but got it the 2nd time.)

Now let's try running cron-config again... still screwed the same way:

  >Do you want to start the cron daemon as a service now? (yes/no) yes
  >cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: QueryServiceStatus:  Win32 error 1053:
  >The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

>If *that* fails, then I'd try getting a SYSTEM-owned bash shell and
>seeing if you see general fork failures there.  The method to do this is
>a little silly, but I think there is a simple script available to
>automate it if you search the archives for "sysbash".

I'm gonna need a bit more guidance here; I found this script:

http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-09/msg01860/sysbash

... but need a little more instruction about how to provoke a fork
failure.  Like, what exactly would you like me to type at this SYSTEM
owned shell?

(And the use of "at" in sysbash is pretty entertaining, I gotta admit... :-)

>You might also try the latest snapshot of the cygwin DLL, but I'm not
>sure there's anything relevant that has changed.  It's still worth doing
>though if you can't get it working.

I have the latest version as of this morning, which is the last time I
ran setup.exe.  If it's changed since then, I'll get it tomorrow
morning. :-)
--
Steve Rowley <sgr@alum.mit.edu> http://alum.mit.edu/www/sgr/ Skype: sgr000
It is very dark & after 2000.  If you continue, you are likely to be eaten by a bleen.