Re: ln -s exe magic (coreutils 6.7-2)

On Jan 24 06:45, Eric Blake wrote:
> According to Corinna Vinschen on 1/24/2007 2:48 AM:
> > This looks rather like a problem with the exe magic in coreutils.  FWIW,
> > I never liked the idea to create "foo.exe.lnk" symlinks.  They only slow
> > down the symlink processing in Cygwin.
>
> Should we get rid of the special processing in cygwin 1.7.0?
> [...]
> I'm having a tough time thinking of any scenarios that will break in a new
> installation if we drop .exe.lnk support; and I'm only slightly worried
> that existing cases, such as Pierre's example of /usr/sbin/sendmail.lnk
> vs. /usr/sbin/sendmail.exe.lnk, tripping up users.  I would be in favor of

I appreciate the idea to remove it, but I have long ago already
convinced myself that we will have problems removing it.  A quick look
into /bin on my machine, which has basically a standard install of
roughly 30-40% of the available packages in the distro, shows that
existing installs have a non-marginal number of .exe.lnk files:

$ find /bin -type l | grep \\.exe
/bin/awk.exe
/bin/c++.exe
/bin/captoinfo.exe