Re: Can't start cron daemon in Cygwin 1.5.23 under WinXP SP2

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Rowley"
To: <cygwin>
Sent: Monday, January 22, 2007 11:25 PM
Subject: ***[Possible UCE]*** Re: Can't start cron daemon in Cygwin 1.5.23 under WinXP SP2

| >Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 15:16:19 -0800
| >From: Brian Dessent <brian at dessent dot net>
| >
| >Steve Rowley wrote:
| >>     >In case of problem, examine the log file for cron,
| >>     >/var/log/cron.log, and the Windows event log
| >>     >for information about the problem cron is having.
| >
| >This is the key thing to look at, the actual reason for why it can't
| >start should be in one of those two locations.
|
| Excellent points.  Here are the results:
|
| (1) There is no /var/log/cron.log.  Since this is the first time I've
|    tried to bring up cron on this machine, I take it to indicate that
|    the daemon never got as far as creating its log file.
|
| (2) Windows event log: yes, there are some cron-related events there.
|    Had I read the message as carefully as you did, I would have
|    found Application events like this:
|
|    >Event Type: Error
|    >Event Source: cron
|    >Event Category: None
|    >Event ID: 0
|    >Date: 1/22/2007
|    >Time: 11:00:27 PM
|    >User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
|    >Computer: CBDWB00033
|    >The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( cron ) cannot be found. The local computer
may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a
remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see
Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: cron: PID 304:
starting service `cron' failed: fork: 11, Resource temporarily unavailable.

| Any idea what to make of that?

It's not clear if the problem is in cron, cygrunsrv, cygwin  or your XP setup.
So here are two suggestions:
1) run cron as yourself (answer yes in cron-config).
    This tends  to work around security issues
2) create a /usr/sbin/cron script  readable and writable by all (leave /usr/sbin/cron.exe alone)
    with something like

#! /bin/sh
id
env
sleep 10
id > c:/id.out

 That should produce output in /var/log/cron.log and c:/id.out
 ps -a (within 10 sec)  should show cygrunsrv, sh and sleep
 The Windows event log should have two entries about the service starting and stopping.
 Hopefully some clue will emerge....

 Let us know hat happens.

Pierre