Re: Can't start cron daemon in Cygwin 1.5.23 under WinXP SP2

 even what looked like small problems, the cron daemon still will not
 start.  Any more suggestions?  I'm willing to try just about anything.]

>Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 10:38:29 +0100 (CET)
>From: Marco Atzeri <marco_atzeri at yahoo dot it>
>
>--- Steve Rowley <sgr@alum.mit.edu> ha scritto:
>>     >Event Type:	Error
>>     >Event Source:	cron
>>     >Event Category:	None
>>     >Event ID:	0
>>     >Date:		1/22/2007
>>     >Time:		11:00:27 PM
>>     >User:		NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
>>     >Computer:	CBDWB00033
>>     >The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source (
>> cron ) cannot be found. The local computer may not
>> have the necessary registry information or message
>> DLL files to display messages from a remote
>> computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE=
>> flag to retrieve this description; see Help and
>> Support for details. The following information is
>> part of the event: cron: PID 304: starting service
>> `cron' failed: fork: 11, Resource temporarily
>> unavailable.
>>
>> Any idea what to make of that?
>
>possible issue:
>the user SYSTEM has no enough permission to execute
>or to write in certain directories.
>use
>   ls -l
>or
>   getfacl
>to check permissions of the involved file/directories.
>
>For me, some changes of permission
>from 700 to 755 or 750
>solved a similar problem with OpenSSH and NFS .
>
>SYSTEM belongs to the administrators group
>but it is not admin/root
>
>$ grep SYSTEM /etc/passwd
>SYSTEM:*:18:544:,S-1-5-18::
>
>$ grep 544 /etc/group
>Administrators:S-1-5-32-544:544:

Fair enough; thanks for the suggestion.  Though I remind you of 2
things:

(1) the cron setup was created by the cron-config script, which should
    know whereof it speaks re permissions, and

(2) cron_diagnose.sh gave my setup a clean bill of health, including
    the permissions it checked.

Nevertheless, since you were good enough to make a concrete
suggestion, I went hunting in /var, /var/cron, and /var/log for
directories with odd ownership and/or permissions.  The only thing I
could find was that /var/proftpd was owned by user SYSTEM, group
Administrators while everything else was owned by me and group Users.

So I did this:

>$ chown -Rv `id -un`:Users /var/proftpd/ && chmod -fR ugo+rwx /var/proftpd/

Then killed & restart the cron service, with unchanged results:

>$ cygrunsrv --stop cron && cygrunsrv --remove cron
>$ cron-config
>Do you want to install the cron daemon as a service? (yes/no) yes
>
>The service can run either as yourself or under a privileged account.
>Running as yourself allows better access to network drives,
>but does not allow to run the crontab of other users.
>Do you want to the cron daemon to run as yourself? (yes/no) no
>

>Do you want the daemon to run with ntsec? (yes/no) yes
>

>Do you want to start the cron daemon as a service now? (yes/no) yes
>cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: QueryServiceStatus:  Win32 error 1053:
>The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
>

>In case of problem, examine the log file for cron,
>/var/log/cron.log, and the Windows event log
>for information about the problem cron is having.
>
>If you cannot fix the problem, then report it to cygwin@cygwin.com.
>Please include a copy of your crontab, ('crontab -l')
>and the output of 'cygcheck -srv > cygcheck.txt'.
>
>Please include the generated file 'cygcheck.txt' *as an attachment*,
>and NOT in the body of the mail message.

So I found no directories whose permissions could be changed to fix
the problem.  This is unsurprising to me, given that cron-config and
cron_diagnose.sh are both apparently happy with the permissions.

Any more suggestions, anyone?
--
Steve Rowley <sgr@alum.mit.edu> http://alum.mit.edu/www/sgr/ Skype: sgr000
It is very dark & after 2000.  If you continue, you are likely to be eaten by a bleen.