devenv.com has errors only when running through cygwin sshd, not sure why

Greetings, sticky problem here. I am running compile jobs remotely on
a server running cygwin sshd.

Versions:
  Cygwin dll: 1.5.18
  sshd: OpenSSH_4.2p1, OpenSSL 0.9.8a 11 Oct 2005.
  Windows: Windows XP Professional Ver 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
  Visual Studio: Microsoft (R) Development Environment  Version 7.10.3077.

I'm compiling jobs remotely through ssh and running them as well. The
jobs I'm running are going through beta graphics drivers and
occasionally hang the machine.

The problem is that now, on two different machines, I have hung the
machine and after that point I can no longer call the Visual Studio
command line compiler "devenv.com". It pops up an error message on the
console and will not compile.

- Reboots do not solve the problem.
- Reinstalling the compiler does not solve the problem.
- It works fine when running from a cygwin shell on the console.

Only remote compiles are affected. Here's the error:

  Runtime error
  This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way

  Ms Visual Studio .Net 2003 has encountered a problem and needs to
  close. We are sorry for the inconvenience (etc.)

In the event viewer I see:

  Faulting application devenv.exe, version 7.10.3077.9
  faulting module mscoree.dll 2.0.50727.42
  fault address 0x00030152
  Category (100)
  Event ID: 1000

I've now done this on two machines. I'm out of machines to run on, and
I can't make this problem go away on either of them, so I'm really
stuck. Any thoughts?

JDO