When ssh'd in, cannot run MS compiler /Zi debug option

This is sort of a repost of a previous question to this mailing list.
I am running into

Fatal Error C1902: Program database manager mismatch; please check
your installation.

When attempting to use the visual studio compiler from within cygwin
when logged in via ssh.  I found the following in the archives: