Re: cygwin-email utility clipping attached zips

heh, I seem to have sparked a short debate on bash scripting syntax/verbage. Suffice it to say, my original way worked, this way would most likely work, and I'm sure there are a number of alternative ways to get the same egg scrambled.

I appreciate everyone's input, I really just wanted to share how I got it working in case anyone else needed something similar.

regards,
joey

Brian Dessent wrote:
Matt Wozniski wrote:

email user@example -s test -a "$(sh -c 'IFS=,; echo "$*"' -- *.pdf)" \
                <sample.txt
But that won't work for files with commas in the name!  (Rare, but it
can happen...)  I'd prefer something like

This still works fine for filenames with commas since it uses $* which joins the positional parameters which have already been split (before the subprocess was even invoked), before IFS is changed to ",".

But if a filename has a comma in its name then it is impossible to
express it as a list of comma-separated filenames without some form of
quoting. And I doubt that the email program has backslash-escape
parsing logic for this very rare case (but I haven't checked.) Regardless, this:

email user@example -s test -a "$(ls -1 *.pdf | tr '\n' ',' )" < sample.txt

...does not solve the problem either. You get the same output as above, except with an erronious trailing ",".

Brian