RE: username should be lower-case for $USER

On 09 January 2007 22:15, David Smiley wrote:

> I forgot to add, I log into a windows domain and so I can't set the case.
> Perhaps this issue only relates to windows domain logins.  Maybe they are
> case insensitive because when I log into the domain, I ALWAYS specify it in
> lower case.  I don't think I've ever seen it presented to me (in Windows) as
> upper case.  Yet in CYGWIN, $USER=DSMILEY.  If domain logins are case
> *in*sensitive (appears likely), then it would seem to me that it should be
> normalized to lower-case for use in CYGWIN.

  That's a non-sequitur.  It should not be /normalised/; it should be
*canonicalised*.  And the canonical definition is whatever your domain server
reports to cygwin that your user name is.  Case-preserving but
case-insensitive, remember?

  Since it's insensitive, just hand-edit your /etc/passwd to look the way you
like and you're done.

  BTW, I log-on to a domain, and my $USER name has always been lower-case.
It's just the way your admin has created your account.

    cheers,
      DaveK