RE: make: Facing problem while compiling using make 3.80

On 09 January 2007 10:07, Faisal Sajjad wrote:

> Hi,
>    I am trying to compile my code using cywin. My
> source code has several directories each having
> makefiles which gives the rules to compile files
> contained in the folder. When i m compiling, make is
> throwing an error:
> Serious error: C3052E: couldn't read file
> <path/filename>
> C3050U: Compilation aborted.

  No.  That's not an error from make at all.  That's an error from your
compiler.

> Strangely, make is giving errors only in one folder
> whereas it is able to properly compile files contained
> in other folders.

  No.  Make isn't having the problem.  The compiler is having the problem.

> I am not able to figure out the problem.
> make version - GNU make 3.80

  That's a bit old, but it isn't the problem.

> Host machine - Windows XP running on intel centrino
> Cywin setup-version -  2.510.2.2

  Telling us which version of setup you used to install cygwin isn't useful;
that's only the version of setup.exe itself, and doesn't contain any
information about what package versions were current when you ran it.

> I don't know whether this is some kind of bug in make.

  I do.  It isn't.

> Can someone suggest how to fix it or if someone has
> faced similar problem and fixed it or some other
> version of make where it works well.

  I think the real problem /might/ be (because you haven't included an example
that I could use to reproduce the problem) that you're trying to pass a cygwin
POSIX-style path to a windows msvc-based compiler that has no idea what it
means?  I'm guessing that the reason it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't
is because you're sometimes passing full paths to it, and sometimes just bare
filenames in the current directory, which of course are exactly the same in
both windows and unix style.

    cheers,
      DaveK