Re: 1.7.0 CVS mmap failure

On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 11:34:36AM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >MEM_TOP_DOWN
> >0x100000	Allocates memory at the highest possible address.
> >
> >If there were any kind of simple arithmetic bug behind mmap()'s
> >scenes (such as computing space to zero-fill, etc. etc.) I would
> >think ENOMEM would be a very common scenario if we're allocating
> >near the end of addressible space.
>
>   % grep "simple arithmetic bug" mmap.cc
>   %
>
> Seems fine to me.
>
> It's probably a hyperthreaded, dual-core problem.
>
> cgf

Right, like the mental bash bug I brought up ages ago... Anyways,
I interpret the "grep blah" answer as a "figure it out." I was
throwing out the thoughts to get people moving in parallel on
figuring it out. I can't look into it right now - but was prompted
to add my thoughts since I noticed someone else noticed. I can tell
you this, it's not a machine issue. Something is amiss since the
top down change. I don't have the answer right now as to what it
is and won't be able to debug on my own for a bit (work).

-cl