RE: Cygwin make menuconfig hangs

Gabriel Goldstein wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Currently I can build the linux kernel 2.6.17 under Cygwin without
issue
> with a stock .config file from my development board supplier (ARM9,
> AT91RM9200).  However, I can not get make menuconfig to work.
>
> I'm using 'make ARCH=arm KBUILD_HAVE_NLS=no menuconfig'.  Originally
> this was failing all over the place during the linker looking for
> ncurses.  After many attempts at various things (compiled ncurses-5.5
> with library option, etc) trying to get a .so file, I come to kind of
> realize that a .so and a dll may be the same thing.  So I 'ln -s
> libncurses.dll.a libncurses.so' and menu config compiles.  So I get
past
> the linker.
>
> How it just sits there stalled, looking at me, doing nothing:
>
> $ make  ARCH=arm KBUILD_HAVE_NLS=no menuconfig
>   HOSTCC  scripts/basic/fixdep
>   HOSTCC  scripts/basic/split-include
>   HOSTCC  scripts/basic/docproc
>   HOSTLD  scripts/kconfig/mconf
>   HOSTLD  scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/lxdialog
> Info: resolving _COLS by linking to __imp__COLS (auto-import)
> Info: resolving _LINES by linking to __imp__LINES (auto-import)
> Info: resolving _stdscr by linking to __imp__stdscr (auto-import)
> scripts/kconfig/mconf arch/arm/Kconfig
> <hung>
>
> It does this with or without the .config file in place.
>
> A ps tells me 2 copies of make, mconf, and lxdialog are running in the
> background.
>
> I'm not sure if the linking thing is right or something else I'm
> missing.
>
> Please help!

Ignoring the fact that Cygwin's gcc will not cross-compile to Linux,
you're right in observing that .so's are not the same as DLLs.
Actually,
.so's are quite different from DLLs and Windows will not recognize them.
If you're actually building a Linux target libncurses.so, you don't want
it renamed.  And if you're targeting Windows, you want to build
ncurses.dll
and libncurses.dll.a.  So I think you're a little confused about what
you
want (or your message to this list is confusing).  In any case, since
you're
not using Cygwin's gcc for this, your question is also off-topic.  You
should take your questions to the site/supplier of the gcc you're using
to build Linux targets with.

Holliston, MA 01746

Let me rephrase as I think it's quite on topic.  Forgetting any cross
compiling, lets just say I'm trying to make menuconfig which is a native
cygwin app and I'd think I should be able to compile that under cygwin
with cygwin's gcc without any major ordeal, after all mconf is just a
cygwin program.  I only kept the ARCH=arm command in there so if there
was some specialized configuration it did for arm, it would know where I
was going.

100s of people do this every day in a normal linux environment, so I'm
trying to figure out what special things I may have to do in cygwin to
be able to make a simple mconf program, which just happens to be used to
configure kernel .config files.

On another note, or another way around the same problem, if I can figure
out how to get nls support under cygwin (or figure out how to tell the
compiler where it is) that would solve my problem.  (If I remove the
KBUILD_HAVE_NLS=no I will get tons of _gettext linker errors).

Thanks,

Gabriel