Re: bash crashes after update

http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PPIOSPE; redirecting to the list.

According to Serge Skorokhodov on 12/26/2006 3:42 AM:
> Hi,
>
> I've attempted a clean default cygwin install and the error is the same.
>
> Error signature:
> AppName: bash.exe     AppVer: 0.0.0.0     ModName: cygwin1.dll
> ModVer: 1005.23.0.0     Offset: 0000365f
>
> The error report is attached.
>
> A series of similar errors followed for each of setup scripts. Once
> another error message appeared 'The instruction at "0x6100365f"
> referenced memory at "0x006cda90". The memory could not be "written".
> Click OK to terminate the program'.
>
> Attempt to start cygwin shell yielded the same error.
>
> cygcheck -srv > cygcheck.out brings another one:
> AppName: id.exe     AppVer: 0.0.0.0     ModName: cygwin1.dll
> ModVer: 1005.23.0.0     Offset: 0000365f
>
> cygcheck.out is attached.
>
> Hope this help.

Well, from your cygcheck:

> Path:	C:\Program Files\Far
> 	C:\WINDOWS\system32
> 	C:\WINDOWS
> 	C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem
> 	C:\WUsr\atit\ATI Control Panel
> 	C:\usr\shared\Compuware\NMShared
> 	C:\usr\shared\Compuware\
> 	C:\WUsr\Subversion\bin
> 	C:\SFU\common\
> 	c:\bin
> 	c:\usr\gnuplot\bin
> Found: c:\bin\awk.exe
> Found: \bin\awk.exe
> Warning: c:\bin\awk.exe hides \bin\awk.exe
> Found: C:\bcb6\Bin\grep.exe

You have competing programs, such as those from SFU, on your path, and
must have run cygcheck with cygwin off your path (I would welcome a patch
to cygcheck that scanned the cygwin mount point for /bin whether or not
that was currently on %PATH% at the time cygcheck was run).  That may or
may not come back to haunt you; I would recommend sticking with just one
version of Unix-y tools.

Beyond that, I don't see any obvious problems, and you aren't a victim of
Vista's weird problems, so I have to suspect that you might have a buggy
driver that is interfering with cygwin's desired usage patterns.  Recent
culprits have included McAfee virus, Agnitum Outpost, Logitech webcam, ...

- --
Life is short - so eat dessert first!

Eric Blake             ebb9@byu.net