Re: OpenSSH: differences for public key and password authentication

Jasper Moeller wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm sure I had found some references to this before, but I'm completely unable to dig them out again, so please bear with me.

We are using cygwin+openssh for remote logins from linux onto an WinXP machine, which we use for automated build processes. We set up public key authentication successfully, however, there seem to be some differences between publickey authentication and password authentication - mainly, when using the public key, several permissions are wrong/missing/whatsoever. On problem is when trying to access network shares (we use AFS, just to complicate matters further...), the other manifests itself when trying to run several .NET applications (NDoc and especially signtool.exe). We can work around most ones, except for the signtool issue :-(

I'd really hate going back to password logins since this basically prevents fully automated builds, so is there any way around it? Probably some server misconfiguration which I can't find out?

SSH server config excerpt:

- Uses privilege separation
- service starts as SYSTEM account
- CYGINW=ntsec
- Rest as suggested by ssh-host-config

<http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.using.shares>

Or, if you prefer the cutting edge:

<http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-developers/2006-11/msg00000.html>

Read this thread and others on the Cygwin list that have tried this before
proceeding.

Holliston, MA 01746