Re: Postinstall Problem with 01bash.bat

On 12/16/06, Eric Blake <ebb9@byu.net> wrote:
According to Christopher Tate on 12/16/2006 5:07 PM:
> Eric Blake wrote, on the cygwin mailing list:
>>
>> Phooey - now that you have gotten rid of the problem, I can't do any more
>> debugging via your system.  I'm still trying to reproduce the failure, by
>> manually sourcing /etc/profile.d/00bash.sh, but so far it seems I am just
>> catching list users, like you, reporting failure that is solved by a
>> simple cp, but where the postinstall script did not work.
>
> I'm not subscribed to the list, but I found this thread when googling
> for help -- I am having exactly the same problem as Kenneth Evans.

The list is open to posts from non-subscribers for a reason.

Noted; thanks.

> 01bash.bat is hanging forever when attempting to finish the cygwin
> install.  (Also, the rl_getenv_hook error dialog that he described
> happens for me as well, when i try to invoke sh.exe from a cmd.exe
> prompt.)  Want my help diagnosing this?

What version of bash are you trying to upgrade to?  I assume you canceled
the setup.exe; if so, what does 'grep -C5 00bash /var/log/setup.log.full'
say?  What does 'ls -l /bin/{ba,}sh.exe' say?  What does 'cygcheck
/bin/sh.exe' say?

First, I should point out that having run setup.exe has now left cygwin in an unusable state; i can't launch a bash shell in order to run the commands specified. All of the results I'm going to quote here are from running the commands in a cmd.exe shell.

I had told setup.exe to reinstall the supposedly-installed version of
bash; that's 3.2.9-9.

grep -C5 00bash /var/log/setup.log.full says it's uninstalling 3.2.9,
then installing from bash-3.2.9-9.tar.bz2, then abnormal exit (exit
code = 0) from postinstall\00bash.sh, *then* running 01bash.bat. (full
output attached rather than quoted here).

ls -l /bin/{ba,}sh.exe:
-rwxr-x---+ 1 ctate mkgroup-l-d 484864 Dec 15 13:44 /bin/bash.exe
-rwxr-x---+ 1 ctate mkgroup-l-d 451072 Dec 26  2005 /bin/sh.exe

cygcheck /bin/sh.exe:
C:/cygwin/bin/sh.exe
 C:/cygwin/bin\cygwin1.dll
   C:\WINDOWS\system32\ADVAPI32.DLL
     C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll
     C:\WINDOWS\system32\KERNEL32.dll
     C:\WINDOWS\system32\RPCRT4.dll
 C:/cygwin/bin\cygintl-3.dll
   C:/cygwin/bin\cygiconv-2.dll
 C:/cygwin/bin\cygreadline6.dll
   C:/cygwin/bin\cygncurses-8.dll
   C:\WINDOWS\system32\USER32.dll
     C:\WINDOWS\system32\GDI32.dll

> Here's one scrap of additional information:  before running the cygwin
> setup.exe program, I checked the Task Manager and verified that no
> bash or sh processes were running.  Now, with the installer hung
> during 01bash.bat's execution, there are three running bash.exe
> processes, and one running sh.exe.

... and these four processes persist after I click "Cancel" once 01bash.bat hangs, the "Install complete" dialog pops up, and I dismiss that.

--
chris tate
ctate@acm.org