Re: Vista & coreutils (or any other package)

On Dec 15 09:14, Hugh McMaster wrote:
> Hi Corinna,
>
> Does the same result occur when you run 'install' from the command
> terminal in Vista, after adding Cygwin's 'bin' location to PATH?

I though that's clear from the aforementioned thread in the Microsoft
forum.  Cmd.exe behaves as the Explorer GUI, apparently like this:  When
CreateProcess results in error 740, it restarts the application using
ShellExecute with the "runas" attribute.

What happens next depends on your user state and the UAC settings in the
security policy.  For a standard user either a dialog asking for admin
username and password pops up, or the access is simply denied.

For an admin user, either a dialog pops up asking for consent, or the
application will run automatically.

Either way, this results in popping up a new console window in which the
application in question actually runs.  ShellExecute is also a
simplified API which does not allow to use a couple of the mechanisms
available in CreateProcess.  In other words, using ShellExecute breaks
the connection between Cygwin parent and Cygwin child.

Use your imagination how it looks like to run a `make install' with
20 or more calls to /usr/bin/install, if you're a standard user which
is asked for admin username and password...

Corinna

Red Hat