Re: print from xfig

Steven Woody wrote:
On 12/13/06, Larry Hall (Cygwin) <reply-to-list-only-lh@cygwin.com> wrote:
Steven Woody wrote:
> On 12/5/06, Andrew Louie <louiea@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Steven Woody <narkewoody <at> gmail.com> writes:
>>

>> > i can run xfig successuflly, but i can not print our network printer.
>> > it reported:
>> >
>> > lpr: printer error: can't open 'd:\printersharename'
>> >
>> > what do i do? thank you.
>> >

>> Can you normally print with lpr?
>>
>> did you try: lpr -P//networkshare/printername
>>

> i tried: lpr -P//CNZUHPR01 myfile, but got
> lpr: printer error: can't open '' for writing: The printer name is invalid.
>
> i am not pretty sure if the printer name is ok. i got the name by
> right click the network printer icon in the control panel then select
> the 'properties'. i know it's a HP LaserJet-2300DN and accessable to
> me via our company's domain.

See the FAQ:

<http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.using.printing>

thank you. but the FAQ only explained how to print if one know the printer's network share name. i think my problem firstly is find out the printer name, that is not explained in the FAQ. does anyone get know how to know a printer's share name if the printer is shared via Windows's domain? i am sorry for such a question, but the printer is automatically installed on my computer, might via a network startup script, so i lose the chance to get know the details. the only thing i can do now is to play with the printer's properties dialog.

The process that you need to go through to find out the name of a printer
on your system and/or domain is really off-topic for this list.  Your best
choice for a source of this information is your local admin.  That said,
you should find some information about the printer by looking at the list
of available printers that you can find under the printers applet in the
control panel.  You can also try to install a new network printer through
this applet to find those available.  You should be able to match up some
of the information provided about the available network printers with the
one you already have installed.  But the most direct route would be to ask
you network admin.

Holliston, MA 01746