Re: cygwin opengl problem

dvmorris wrote:

I finally managed to get this c++ program compiled on cygwin, and when I
start it up, the interface (done in fltk) works great, but the opengl
display window is frozen. It only shows the last frame from the openGL
buffer on the machine. if i open another opengl program, display
something, then go back to this one, it shows what was display last in the
other program. When i resize the window, the image gets scrambled, etc...
but nothing displays. Everything else about the program works though.

How do I begin to troubleshoot something like this. My professor who wrote
the code told me he used to compile on an older version of cygwin, and the
newer versions gave him this same problem, and he never had time to figure
out why. Another friend who has taken a look at it thinks it might have
something to do with calling gl functions before initializing the gl
context, which is apparently allowed on linux. He tried compiling the same
code on a macbook pro, and he says it crashes because the code makes a gl
call before initializing the gl context. My cygwin compiled version
doesn't crash, it even allows me to open and save obj files and perform
operations...

I know I haven't shown any code here, or given anything to really help
diagnose much, but if someone could give me pointers as to where to begin
to debug this problem, i would really appreciate it.

dave

I should add this as well... this is what cygwin puts out after running the
makefile:

Info: resolving Fl::e_keysym      by linking to __imp___ZN2Fl8e_keysymE
(auto-import)
Info: resolving Fl::e_state      by linking to __imp___ZN2Fl7e_stateE
(auto-import)
Info: resolving Fl::e_y      by linking to __imp___ZN2Fl3e_yE (auto-import)
Info: resolving Fl::e_x      by linking to __imp___ZN2Fl3e_xE (auto-import)
Info: resolving vtable for Fl_Menu_Barby linking to __imp___ZTV11Fl_Menu_Bar
(auto-import)
Info: resolving vtable for Fl_Gl_Windowby linking to
__imp___ZTV12Fl_Gl_Window (auto-import)
Info: resolving vtable for Fl_Double_Windowby linking to
__imp___ZTV16Fl_Double_Window (auto-import)

i have no idea what that stuff means, but thought it might be important...

If you don't know, then you can ignore it. These are information-only messages meant to tell you that you didn't explicitly provide references for these symbols so the linker has imported ones it found. If you don't know that this is wrong, chances are it's right and is what you want.

From the information you've given, it sounds to me like the code is
suspect.  I'd start by getting this to work as it should with portability
in mind.  The fact that it works on one system/compiler/whatever is not
an indication that the code is correct.  Eliminating suspect code fragments
will likely go a long way towards find and resolving your problem.

Holliston, MA 01746