Re: cron jobs quit after 1 minute

Andrew Louie wrote:
Dave Korn <dave.korn <at> artimi.com> writes:

On 29 November 2006 21:08, Andrew Louie wrote:

I want to set up a cron job to execute a perl script every day at 4am. I
have successfully set up the job so that it will execute the script, the
only problem is the script can take a long time to finish, as it does many
different tasks.

The problem is that after about 1 minute, the script will just stop
executing when invoked from the cronjob. does anyone know how to keep the
cron service from exiting after 1 minute?
Write a script that doesn't crash after 1 minute?

    cheers,
      DaveK

It dosn't crash, when i run it standalone, it will complete successfully, only when it is run by the cron service, does it just terminate after one minute.

alittle more information on the script:
the first part of the script does:
it reads all the *.tec.gz files in the dir one by one, unzips them, preplots
them, and zips them back up.

this loop of operations can take a while, and each unzip/preplot/zip process
completes successfully, the cron service will wait for the unzip/preplot/zip
process to complete before terminating my script.

Is there reason to believe that the problem you're seeing is Cygwin-specific? If so, please read and follow the problem reporting guidelines found at:

<http://cygwin.com/problems.html>

If not, check the 'cron' docs, etc.  Saying that the script runs fine
standalone doesn't mean it will run under 'cron' without complaint, for
example.  My guess is that it's whipping through your list and doing
nothing or it doesn't find the list to start with.  A simple script that
sits in an endless loop or sleeps a certain amount of time should verify
whether your problem is something like this or not.

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 216 Dalton Rd. (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746