Re: 1.5.22: Error from anything using the cygwin dll

Mikkel Erup wrote:
--- Hugh McMaster <dasjournal@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi everyone,

After doing some analysis of this issue, I have determined the
problem
to most likely be Agnitum Outpost Firewall.  I am not disputing
your
findings (Mikkel, anyone else), but all of the evidence that I
have
learned point to this.  In fact, I installed the trial version
4.0 of
Outpost Firewall and the problem starts. Once I had uninstalled
the
software, the problem disappears.  According to the Agnitum
Forums,
the developers are working on a solution to the problem.

A workaround is to uninstall version 4 of the firewall, and
install
version 3.51.  This will provide firewall protection for the
computer,
while allowing the use of Cygwin as well.

Hope this helps,

Hugh

Thanks! It was indeed Outpost 4 causing it. Even stopping Outpost
didn't fix the problem. Booting to safe mode with networking,
making sure no Outcrap processes was running didn't fix it
either.
It must be starting some hidden process or modifying system files
or something like that. I'm not sure exactly what was causing it
but removing Outpost fixed it. Thanks God I was only using the trial.

It messes with the network stack. This happens at install time, not run-time. That means that you have to un-install it to see if it's the culprit, as you found out. This is a common theme for many software firewall products.

Holliston, MA 01746