Installation problem(?) for grace: HOW DO I GET old xorgs?

Looks like initially a path problem, plus an X-problem

I found out that at least one of the reasons grace and gracebat would not run
from the DOS command line
was that the directory for  cygX11R6.dll was not in the path. I fixed that and
also put the actual path for gracebat
. c:cygwinusrsharegracebin before c:cygwinbin, so  a command would look
for the actual executables
 before the symlinks.
So I run
c:mydir> c:cygwinusrsharegracebingracebat test.dat -hdevice JPEG
-printfile gtest.jpg
or
c:mydir> gracebat test.dat -hdevice JPEG -printfile gtest.jpg

It runs instantly, but produced NO file gtest.jpg

(Before adding the actual executable directory to the path before the bin, it
just hung there)

Also, if I try to run grace by clicking on its icon(not the symlink), it does
nothing
If I run
c:mydir> grace
it does nothing

but if I do
c:mydir> ash

$grace
 I get back
grace>1

If I do
c:mydir> xmgrace
I get  Can't open display
Failed initializing GUI, exiting

So, it looks like an X-problem. How do I go about  solving it?Αρχικό μήνυμα από

moka@hol.gr: