Re: readlink behavior change?

On Nov 23 21:29, Eric Blake wrote:
> Currently, in cygwin 1.5.22, readlink("/bin/exim.lnk",0,0) returns -1,
> even though readlink("/bin/exim",0,0) returns 0.  But my recollection is
> that it used to return 0, since /bin/exim.lnk is an alternate spelling for
> /bin/exim.  This change in behavior affects several of the coreutils; for
> example:

I'm not aware of any change in readlink in relation to the .lnk suffix
for a long time.

> $ \ls -l /bin/exim
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 eblake Users 15 Aug 19 06:51 /bin/exim -> exim-4.63-1.exe
> $ \ls --append-exe -l /bin/exim
> ls: cannot access /bin/exim.exe: No such file or directory
>
> Was this change intentional, in which case I need to find an alternative
> workaround to my .exe magic in coreutils, or accidental?

Actually, isn't exim an old-style symlink?

  $ cd /bin
  $ attrib exim
     S       C:\cygwin\bin\exim
  $ ls --append-exe -l /bin/exim
  ls: cannot access /bin/exim.exe: No such file or directory
  $ ln -s exim-4.63-1.exe exln
  $ attrib exln
       R     C:\cygwin\bin\exln.lnk
  $ ls --append-exe -l /bin/exln
  lrwxrwxrwx 1 corinna root 15 Nov 24 09:50 /bin/exln -> exim-4.63-1.exe

It seems your .exe magic has a flaw when it comes to old-style symlinks
w/o .lnk suffix.

Corinna

Red Hat